Monday, April 7, 2014

Conforming to AR 670-1

The infamous Army regulation that is currently affecting many African American women across the ranks.

Ever since the initial word of the new standard surfaced about a month ago, opinions have been thrown from everyone--military personnel who are being affected, those who aren't, prior service, and even individuals who have never stepped a mile in the shoes of a service member. Sergeant Major of the Army Raymond Chandler III officially announced the formal publication of the newly-updated AR 670-1 on 31MAR. The following day, I was used as an example during my ROTC lecture class. 

"You have one week to get your hair in regulation in accordance to the new grooming standards," my military professor said. 

I sat in the classroom among my other peers, all who are Caucasian males, and couldn't feel anything but targeted as we went through the published slides. I currently wear the 2 strand twists, which are no longer authorized. I had finally found a style that kept my hair neat, fit underneath my head gear without looking massive, and something that I personally liked to wear out of uniform. And apparently cornrows look more professional?

The official powerpoint detailing the new standards can be found here: Updated 670-1 Standards Powerpoint

The Colonel continued using me as an example, asking things such as "Most black women either have to chemically process or cut their hair short right?" and other questions that I certainly did not feel like answering in front of an audience that awkwardly sat silent. 

After calmly explaining to him that if the Army wanted African American females to be able to get up and go for training and still maintain a neat appearance, this style helped achieved that and it's being taken away. I convinced him to give me a month to find a new style and make an appointment with my stylist because a week was out of the question. I'm a college senior with 22 hours of credits trying to graduate within the next month and that simply could not happen. 

"I'm really surprised they're allowing hair extensions since it makes the hair so thick," the Colonel continued to say in front of the class as he looked at me. 

I really didn't want to "play the race card" with these new changes. But the more that I thought about it, the more it really seemed like natural hair would suffer under this change. It's amazing the type of comments people have been giving, many that lack support and understanding. Things such as "Just buzz it and make them all uniform." or "You joined to serve, you knew the standards."

I had another cadre member comment that it wouldn't be fair to those dealing with the tattoo standards. I asked him are tattoos really a necessity...

 There are many non-ethnic people, military and civilian, that don't understand black hair and really do not care to. It's crazy that one of the lessons that Army leadership "attempts" to teach us is to adapt and respect culture because the military is becoming more of a diverse profession than ever. Leaders will have to learn how to approach a soldier who can't eat certain foods because of their religion or needs certain holidays off, etc.
 
I know that hair isn't exactly a religious thing (though it can be in other cultures), but it is a part of black culture and can be a long process to take care of when conforming to these standards. The sad thing is, my military professors were able to admit that the hairstyle I had did look professional and they really don't see the difference between the twists and braids.
 
A lot of people who aren't black mistake the hairstyle I had for dreadlocks--which are completely unauthorized in uniform and have been for years. I don't have a problem with that standard. I have a problem with people being ignorant and not taking the time to understand my cultural needs. As they were briefing my class the new standards, the professors had the nerve to say "no shitlocks".
 
If I really disliked them and if I had been smart and recorded it, I probably could've had an equal opportunity case on my hands. But I'm so close to the graduation finish line that it's not even worth it.

I have gladly signed the petition directed to the Obama Administration that has been circulating across forums for reconsideration of these standards. It can be found here: 

My questions to other naturalistas serving are: How have the new changes affected you already? And has your chain of command addressed them respectfully? What are your opinions surrounding the whole issue? Please feel free to include any info or links that I may have overlooked!

In the meantime, I'll be harassing my stylist for braids that will meet that 2 inch of bulk bun requirement...

Commissioning in 4 weeks!!



~ Melissa

4 comments:

  1. It is a tad ridiculous that a government organization such as the Army is, in my mind, infringing on your 1st amendment rights to express yourself. I understand not wanting things such as long hair or other things that might inhibit your ability to perform (or even using things such as this to encourage discipline) but this is just nit picking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm amazed that your twists are unacceptable but cornrows are! To me, when I see someone with cornrows I don't think, "Oh, that's professional!" I think, "oh….looks like a jail hair-style," but maybe that's just me. Anyway, I find it also appalling that your ROTC leaders were so inconsiderate of how this affects you and your life. Maybe they don't necessarily realize how busy you are or how difficult it can be to just change your hair style but they should have been more polite in asking you to completely change your look and how you define yourself physically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm amazed that your professor called you put like that considering the training we get as far as EO. I say we because I'm an African - American female Army officer. I'm also natural so I'm trying to figure out what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thoroughly enjoyed your blog and felt like your comments were right on point. We as African American women have enough discrimination in our daily lives to deal with and should not feel like we are the target of this new army regulation which puts undo stress on current soldiers who were probably following the previous reg. Why fault the masses for the ones who do not conform? You will always have those who will go over board so to speak with anything. That includes a hairstyle. But I just think that they could have given a little more notice and also, could have included input from service members across the board, before deciding to regulate our individuality. We know its a mans army, but that doesn't mean we should be forced to look like one.

    ReplyDelete